What is a car accident?


There are about 10 million accidents each year, of various different kinds, and more than 2 million people nationwide are injured in car crashes every year. Over the last few years, road deaths in Illinois and the Chicagoland area have continued to increase. That doesn’t even take into account injury from car accidents, including head injuries like a concussion, neck injuries like whiplash, or other injuries like broken bones.

Whether you were hurt in a car accident or a loved one was killed, you deserve compensation. James Gay Law, LLC will work with you to recover the compensation you deserve for your pain and suffering, loss of normal life, cost of medical expenses, lost wages, and property damage in a timely manner.

James Gay Law, LLC can help if you or a loved one were involved in one of the following types of accidents:


  • Automobile accident
  • Motorcycle accident
  • Automobile/pedestrian accident
  • Automobile/bicycle accident
  • Truck accidents involving third parties

If you or a loved one have experienced these or other injuries as a result of an accident, call us for an appointment today.

Illinois is a “fault” car insurance state


That means that the party who is found to be responsible for the car or automobile accident will be the one responsible for paying for the property damage and injuries that occurred as a result of the accident. Typically, a driver is found negligent, meaning that they were not reasonable careful when driving or operating their automobile or another vehicle. Some causes for negligence could be:

  • Speeding
  • Following too close
  • Cell phone use or texting
  • Impaired driving with alcohol or drugs
  • Distracted driving
  • Fatigued driving
  • Disc bulge
  • Spinal cord injuries
  • Traumatic brain injuries
  • Psychological injuries
  • Mental distress
  • Wrongful death


Other causes of accidents could include mechanical failures, bad weather, or intentional or willful destruction.

  • Mechanical failures
  • Bad weather
  • Intentional or willful destruction

Some injuries that may occur to a driver or passenger as a result of a car or automobile accident are:

  • Minor bumps and bruises
  • Concussions
  • Whiplash or other neck injuries
  • Dental injuries
  • Broken bones
  • Herniated disk

How we can help you with your car accident case

In most car accident cases, you will not be dealing directly with the person who was operating the vehicle that causes the accident, but rather their insurance company. Auto insurance companies have units dedicated to dealing with claims and making sure that you get as little as possible for your accident. Luckily, you have your own partner in the James J. Gay Law. We’ll deal with the auto insurance companies for you and make sure we don’t settle until you get the compensation you deserve.

We will fight to get you compensation for such things as:

  • Future medical expenses
  • Lost wages
  • Pain and suffering
  • Outpatient treatments costs
  • Medication costs
  • Other expenses associated with recovery
  • Disability and/or disfigurement
  • Loss of normal life
  • Wrongful death

Give us a call today 312.800.1970 and make an appointment.

We’ll take a look at your case and discuss how we can get help you get back on your feet again with the compensation you need.

James J. Gay Law fights for individuals who have sustained injuries in a variety of situations. Different degrees of fault can exist and several elements are necessary to prove a case in court and be successful against the wrongdoer or negligent party in a tort action. Also, more than one person or party may be at fault, and responsibility may be apportioned among all of the wrongdoers.

In some instances, the victim may even be partly at fault for the tragedy but that does not necessarily mean the person does not have a right to bring a lawsuit. Consulting with an experienced Chicago personal injury lawyer such as James J. Gay Law, LLC is important to determine whether or not a particular claim should be brought to court to achieve a fair resolution for an injured person.

Working with an experienced law firm is the only way to recover the damages you or your loved one are owed. Make an appointment with the James J. Gay Law and you’ll receive a free consultation with an experienced lawyer who can help you recover both monetary and non-economic damages.