What is a slip and fall?


A slip and fall case is often also called a premise liability case. A premise is property or a building owned by a third party and so premise liability is a legal concept that means that a property owner is responsible, or liable, to keep their property safe and hazard-free. Premise liability cases are also called slip and fall cases because that’s often how the victim was injured, by slipping and falling.

Whether you or a loved one were hurt in a slip and fall case, you deserve compensation. James J. Gay Law, LLC will work with you to recover the compensation you deserve for the cost of medical expenses and lost wages in a timely manner.

James J. Gay Law, LLC can help if you or a loved one were injured by one of these types of properties:

  • A guest or tenant on property owned by a third party
  • Hotels
  • Restaurants
  • Shopping malls
  • Retail stores
  • Grocery stores
  • Airports
  • Parking lots
  • Construction or other work sites
  • Amusement parks
  • Porches or decks
  • Nursing homes


If you or a loved one have experienced these or other injuries as a result of premise liability, call us for an appointment today.

Property owner negligence


There are a few different ways in which a property owner can be negligent in maintaining their property. One is that they knew about the problem or hazard and did not adequately warn people to be careful. For example, setting out signs near wet floors. Another is that they failed to maintain their property, like failing to shovel and salt after a snowstorm. Another is that they created the hazard and didn’t make efforts to correct the issue. Some causes for negligence could be:

  • Tree roots
  • Concealed holes
  • Slippery ground or wet floors
  • Unsafe electrical wiring
  • Poorly lit staircases or other spaces
  • Changes in floor surface textures and levels
  • Unsuitable rugs or mats
  • Uneven patches of ground, floor, or pavement
  • Falling objects
  • Snowy or icy walkways
  • Failure to keep porches, decks, and other areas up to code

If you experience an injury on another person’s premise, take pictures of where the accident occurred. Not just of the property, but exactly where the injury happened and the cause of the injury. Having witnesses vouch for your injury as well as the cause of the injury can greatly improve a case. Establish a record of the incident by calling the authorities to get treated for your injury soon after it happens. Report the accident to the property owner.

Some severe injuries that may occur during a slip and fall accident are:

  • Back injuries
  • Broken bones
  • Severe hip injuries
  • Severe neck injuries
  • Spinal cord injuries
  • Traumatic brain injuries *
  • Wrongful death *

How we can help you with your slip and fall case

James J. Gay Law, LLC has experienced attorneys who can help you recover the damages you deserve. We will fight to get you compensation for such things as:

  • Past and future medical expenses
  • Lost wages
  • Pain and suffering
  • Disability and/or disfigurement
  • Emotional distress
  • Wrongful death *

The next step in your slip and fall case with James Gay Law

Give us a call today and make an appointment. We’ll take a look at your case, and any records you may have, and discuss how we can get help you get the compensation you need.

Give us a call today 312.800.1970 and make an appointment.


We’ll take a look at your case and discuss how we can get help you get back on your feet again with the compensation you need.


James J. Gay Law fights for individuals who have sustained injuries in a variety of situations. Different degrees of fault can exist and several elements are necessary to prove a case in court and be successful against the wrongdoer or negligent party in a tort action. Also, more than one person or party may be at fault, and responsibility may be apportioned among all of the wrongdoers.

In some instances, the victim may even be partly at fault for the tragedy but that does not necessarily mean the person does not have a right to bring a lawsuit. Consulting with an experienced Chicago personal injury lawyer such as James J. Gay Law, LLC is important to determine whether or not a particular claim should be brought to court to achieve a fair resolution for an injured person.

Working with an experienced law firm is the only way to recover the damages you or your loved one are owed. Make an appointment with the James J. Gay Law and you’ll receive a free consultation with an experienced lawyer who can help you recover both monetary and non-economic damages.